Wednesday 12 December 2012

Making a Start.

Already many days have gone by with tea drunk, pens chewed and screens stared at, before this blog is finally written. I am in the middle of a contemporary illustration assignment and it was pointed out to me that soon I will have finished the project and have forgotten all the processes, small triumphs and lumpy lows that have happened along the way.

So here goes...I was wanting to explore creative ideas around a small bee and two frilly shapes I cut out of mdf with our colleges exciting laser cutter. They were being made into brooches and I was kinda pleased with the result (I also discovered that mdf is a wonderful surface for acrylic paint). The bee theme tied in with an earlier project from our first year when we had to make a book of superstitions and I chose to make mine concerning the folklore surrounding bees.


On wondering how to take the theme further I thought over the ideas of making jewellery, perhaps fitting one piece into another which lead me to think about a jigsaw. 




Sketch book page; working out ideas of what kind of  jigsaw might be the more interesting.


On deciding to make complex jigsaw, rather than one for young children, I next needed to choose the plants and insects to include and the size of the finished item. The drawing above was my attempt at scaling the various creatures.